Soil Machine Dynamics
Client: Soil Machine Dynamics
Value: £ Confidential
Dates: 2016 – 2017
Soil Machine Dynamics Ltd (SMD) is an advanced global supplier of subsea equipment and one of the world’s leading manufacturers of remote intervention equipment, operating in hazardous environments worldwide.
As part of the EU Horizon 2020 programme, a new 42-month Research & Development Project was launched to enable the exploitation and rehabilitation of underexploited and abandoned European deposits of mineral raw materials. The project is named Viable Alternative Mine Operating System (VAMOS).
The scope of the overall project comprises the design, operation and testing of a new submersible mineral extraction tool, which will be trialled at a number of pre-determined site locations (either operational or disused mine/quarry sites).
SMD took on the lead role for the project, managing and coordinating a multidisciplinary and European wide team of engineers and specialists to develop the technology and undertake on site trials for the project.
As the project was the first of its kind within the industry, in order to review and implement effective health and safety management arrangements for the project, SMD engaged SRC to provide consultancy support services and implement an approach to ensure the planning, design and execution of the project was carried out in line with health and safety best practice and legislation requirements.
The scope of this appointment was predominantly supporting the project and engineering team in implementing safety management arrangements for the project to ensure a safe and successful approach could be delivered.
A series of health and safety deliverables were coordinated and implemented by SRC on the project, including:
- GAP Analysis and Review of Existing HSE Management Systems
- Preparation and issue of a HSE Strategy Document for implementation on the project.
- Review of legislation requirements and interpretation of standards to be applied (both UK and EU).
- Facilitation of design risk and technical safety risk workshops to assess the proposed equipment and methodology to be used, ensuring the principles of prevention and design risk management were applied.
- Development and management of an engineering and on-site H&S risk register.
- Development of on-site health and safety plans and management systems to manage and monitor safe methods of working during site enabling works, commissioning, trials and project execution phases.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about our company or would like to speak to us about a specific project, please contact us:
Copyright Steel River Consultants 2020
Steel River Constultants Ltd a company registered in England and Wales with company No. 07314055
VAT registration No. 997430376