Gurney Street Development
Client: Beyond Housing UK
Dates: Sep 2020 – Jun 2022
The project comprised the development of 23No. new build affordable homes on a greenfield site in New Marske, Redcar. The development was a ‘turn-key’ scheme for which the developer secured Planning Approval and the land purchase from the Diocese of Middlesbrough.
Steel River Cost and Project Management (SRCPM) was appointed to fulfil the role of Employers Agent and Cost Manager from RIBA Stage 5 (Construction) through to Stage 6 (Handover and Close Out).
Our services for this project included:
- Establish, implement and manage project control processes and procedures throughout the lifetime of the project.
- Ensuring that there was an effective flow of information and communication between all parties involved in the project.
- Coordinating and managing the allocation and completion of tasks, chasing parties where appropriate.
- Regular reporting to the Client and its Stakeholders both verbally and in written form on project status comprising health & safety, programme, cost, risk, and identifying key actions.
- Production and management of the Master Programme for the duration of the project.
- Risk Management including monthly (as a minimum) reviews of the Risk Register.
- Cost Management including cost estimates, value management, management of the Cost Plan, agreement of the Contract Sum, evaluation of costs arising from Contract Variations and agreement of the Final Account.
- Implementation and management of the Change Control procedure.
- Contract Administration.
- Co-ordination and management of the handover process. Ensuring that all snagging items were satisfactorily completed, all required documentation issued to the relevant parties and any arising defects resolved.
Adding ValueSRCPM has drawn upon its staff’s significant experience of working with, and directly for developers and housing organisations to provide comprehensive support to Beyond Housing representatives throughout the lifetime of the project. The Developer imposed tight timescales for the acceptance of its proposals and the formalisation and execution of construction contracts. Upon appointment SRCPM quickly created an open, collaborative environment with clear lines of communication; and provided structure to the production and collation of the required documentation. SRCPM worked quickly and closely with Beyond Housing to ensure that despite the tight deadlines, its Employers Requirements were robust and comprehensive providing clear parameters for the delivery and construction of the development. The project was successfully completed and handed over on 17th June 2022.
“SRCPM provided Employers Agent and Cost Management services for the turn-key delivery of 23 new-build affordable housing units at Gurney Street, New Marske. The services comprised the procurement of the developer through to completion and handover (RIBA Stages 3 – 6.) The project was delivered during a turbulent time for the industry with significant labour and materials shortages arising from Brexit, and the Covid-19 pandemic. SRCPM was incredibly proactive and ‘hands-on’ throughout the project lifespan undertaking close monitoring of programme cost and quality, and ensuring that the challenges encountered were identified, raised immediately, and mitigated as far as possible. SRCPM’s commitment to the projects they deliver is unquestionable and I would have no hesitation using them for future projects.”
If you have any questions about our company or would like to speak to us about a specific project, please contact us:
Unit 4, Diamond Court
Preston Farm Ind. Estate
t. 01642 605147
Merlin Business Centre
20 Mossland Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Copyright Steel River Consultants 2020
Steel River Consultants Ltd a company registered in England and Wales with company No. 07314055. VAT registration No. 997430376