* Stock Image
Client: Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Dates: August 2022 – March 2022
The project comprises the construction of a new cinema facility on Redcar Seafront as part of the exciting regeneration works taking place within Redcar and the surrounding area, investing in the future of the town and its residents. Construction works are ongoing, with completion due in 2022.
Steel River Consultants (SRC) have been appointed to provide Principal Designer services for the ongoing Regent Cinema project. Fulfilling the role in discharging the Principal Designer duties under the CDM Regulations 2015 is Kevin Strachan, Operations Director at SRC. Kevin is currently supported in this role by Natalie Hughes-Narborough, Safety Consultant at SRC.
SRC have been actively involved in design meetings throughout the design stages of the project, supporting the Client in collation of relevant Pre-construction Information through identifying gaps in existing records and recommending relevant surveys.
Due to the unusual nature of the site, located in a busy and densely populated area along the sea front with existing public access points to the beach, particular attention was drawn to the risks of public interfacing during construction works. This highlighted the requirement for development of a robust and dynamic Traffic Management Plan.
Despite current challenges within the construction industry through supply issues and the effect of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic on contractor procurement, the project remains largely within programme and budget.
Our services for this project include:
- Producing Pre-construction Information for the project, recommending surveys and highlighting site specific risks.
- Ongoing liaison with the project design team, ensuring potential design risks are highlighted and resolved throughout the design stages and into construction.
- Hazard identification and management via production of the CDM Risk Register.
- Communication and collaboration with the Principal Contractor in producing the Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan and its implementation throughout the construction phase.
- Client support through F10 notification and review of the project Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan.
- Regular site visits and inspections during construction to ensure UK legislative compliance.
- Identification of ongoing operational requirements and residual risks through collation of the project Health and Safety File.
SRC identified the unusual site hazards early in the design stages, outlining potential risks to the public and contractors during the construction phase and highlighting design requirements for sufficient provision of site access/egress for maintenance works and emergency services etc during cinema operations.
In his role as Principal Designer, Kevin has worked in collaboration with the Principal Contractor to ensure effective and safe management of the site during construction works, with particular attention paid to public interfacing through provision of alternative pedestrian routes and traffic management systems.
If you have any questions about our company or would like to speak to us about a specific project, please contact us:
Unit 4, Diamond Court
Preston Farm Ind. Estate
t. 01642 605147
Merlin Business Centre
20 Mossland Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Copyright Steel River Consultants 2020
Steel River Consultants Ltd a company registered in England and Wales with company No. 07314055. VAT registration No. 997430376